Enthralling Moments, Hallucinogenic Cultural Displays and Adventure Sports are Relived at Tawang Annual Festival
Tawang (Towang pronounced in local dialect) is a quiet and charming hill town in Arunachal Pradesh, where every year a grand festival is honoured under the aegis of State Tourism Department. The festival is moment of grandiosity set around traditional rituals and sports, music shows, tribal and folk dances. The starting point of Tawang Annual Festival is Sebang, where the Tawang Monastery “Galden Namgyal Lhatse,” is situated. Rally of youthful monks singing religious choirs, begins from the monastery, and moves slowly down towards the site of festival.
Tawang Monastery is located on the offshoot of the hill, at a distance of 10,000 feet, and was founded by Merak Lama Lodre Gyamtso in the year 1860-61. The festival has enormous magnificence, created out of multi-dynamic fabric. It is not any ordinary social gathering at Tawang Festival; there is international diaspora, and celebrities from Bollywood, who become the part of this grandiose festival.
The magnificence of Tawang Festival blends completely with the natural beauty of place. The silence of hills is embroidered by interpolation of sequence of larger than life events, like traditional monastic dances, adventurous games, exhibitions, film shows, flower show, food festivals, and everything else that your mind could ever imagine. Besides, there are documentaries highlighting photography and painting exhibitions showcasing the rich history of Arunachal,
It is also the moment of immense pride for the people of Arunachal Pradesh as Tawang is titled as ‘first open defecation free district’ of Arunachal Pradesh, seen as the positive attribute of the NDA government’s Swachch Bharat Mission. Travelers will be welcomed by beauty, austerity and cleanliness of the Tawang, and this is astoundingly the cherishing jiffies.
The entire Tawang Festival is managed on various levels, keeping the security situations into consideration. Key persons involved in managing and maintaining the festival includes MLAs, the Zila Parishad Chairperson, head of departments of various institutions as well as District Superintendent of Police, secretary of the Tawang Monastery, public leaders, student leaders and local leaders, representatives of the Army, SSB, GREF, ITBP and local NGOs, and the leaders of Yuva Arunachal.
Interesting Things to Do in Tawang
- Travel to The Sela Pass – the longest motorable road in India. The road is covered with snow on both sides.
- Visit the beautiful and celestial Zonga Tiger lake.
- Visit the indomitable 80-Feet Statue of Tara – the female Buddha, standing tall at 11,000 Feet.
- Visit Tawang Monastery – One of the biggest monasteries representing Tibet Buddhist cult.
- Make the trip to enormous Nuranang Falls, located at 100 meters above sea level.
- Pay respect to 2140 Indian soldiers at Tawang War Memorial. These soldiers had laid down their lives in the 1962 India-China war.
Entry Formalities to Tawang
Indian tourists visiting Tawang need to apply for the Inner Line Permit, and this is a routine affair. Travelers should not feel let down for the reasons that they are being asked to show permit to gain entry to Tawang. It is a conventional democratic formality and nothing more.
The prospective travelers can apply for Inner Line Permit at any of these places:
- Residence commissioner, Government of Arunachal Pradesh, New Delhi-Arunachal Bhawan, Kautilya Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi
- Deputy Residence Commissioner, Govt. Arunachal Pradesh, Kolkata, CE-109, Sector-1, Salt Lake City, Kolkata
- Deputy Residence Commissioner, Govt. Arunachal Pradesh, Shillong, Pin-793001, Meghalaya
- Deputy Residence Commissioner, Govt. Arunachal Pradesh, Guwahati. R.G. Baruah Road, Guwahati
- Deputy Residence Commissioner, Govt. Arunachal Pradesh, Parvati Nagar, Tezpur, Assam
- Deputy Residence Commissioner, Govt. Arunachal Pradesh, Mohanbari, Dibrugarh, Assam
- The Extra Assistant Commissioner, Bhalukpung, West Kameng District
Travelers who are the foreign nationals, intending to be the part of Tawang Festival, will require Restricted Area Permit. The application giving the details – Name, Passport Number, its Issuing Authority and the Expiry Date, Place of Birth, Profession, Proposed Duration of Stay and the Purpose of Visit needs to be forwarded to:
The Home Commissioner Govt. of Arunachal Pradesh, Itanagar or Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India, New Delhi-110001